The mission of the International Ms Leather Foundation (IMsL Foundation) is to support and build the international Kink, Leather and alternative sexuality women’s communities through three key initiatives: leadership development, education and digitizing our history. The first is to support the current women titleholders of the International Ms Leather (IMsL) and International Ms Bootblack (IMsBB) competition and support new local contests for women. The second initiative is recognize and develop a strong educational base within the community. Finally, the Foundation will support gathering and making our history accessible through digital archiving and creating venues to hear our stories. In addition to working with people throughout the Kink, Leather and alternative sexuality communities, the IMsL Foundation works with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ), Two-Spirit, straight (heterosexual), and allied communities who work to create women leaders. We are dedicated to creating leadership development and support, educational development, historical preservation and provide resources to work to overcome the –ISM’s faced by those in our community, specifically impacting People of Color, Under 35 ,Trans Women and the Accessibility community, and provide a venue for people interested in Kink, Leather and BDSM community and the issues that the women’s community faces.
For more information, please IMsL Foundation’s website at http://www.imslfoundation.org/
The Board supports the work of the IMsL Foundation and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. Currently, day-to-day operations are led by the Board President in partnership with other Board members. or Executive Director. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Board President to develop and implement the IMsL Foundation’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by the IMsL Foundation’s for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving the IMsL Foundation’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Developing a strategic plan to grow the organization /ED
- Organizing and leading board initiatives based on strategic plan and goals
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing the IMsL Foundation to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring the IMsL Foundation’s commitment to a diverse board in identifying and recruiting board members that reflects the communities the IMsL Foundation serves
- Committing to education and action to counter the –ISMs both inside the organization and within the larger community
IMsL Foundation Board Members will consider the IMsL Foundation a philanthropic priority and commit to making annual gifts, organizing events to fundraise, find funding alternatives (barter) and sponsors that reflect that priority. So that IMsL Foundation can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, the IMsL Foundation expects all Board members to “give or get” an amount that is significant to them and that it is expected that the Foundation is among their top charities.
(Pending bylaw review) IMsL Foundation’s Board Members will serve three-year terms and will be eligible for re-appointment for one additional three-year term (a total of 6 years possible). After a one-year break, Board Members can rejoin the board for two consecutive, three year terms. The former Title Holders will have the option to serve on the Board for one year after their title year.
Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings. The annual meeting will be held at the annual IMsLBB Weekend (April). The board shall consist of not fewer than three (3) and not more than fifteen (15) Directors. Terms will be staggered for board continuity.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the IMsL Foundation’s mission and who has a track record of board or community leadership. Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector and will interact with Board Members, community leaders and community members.
Per the IMsL Foundation bylaws, each Board Member shall be a natural person of full age (21). Most of the Board must be United States citizens but Board Members may be from any country and/or reside anywhere in the world. Board Members shall have the following qualities:
a) Respect for the Policies, Bylaws, Mission, and Values of the Foundation;
b) Explicit assurance of time, energy, and attention for the affairs of the Foundation; and
c) Appropriate respect for due process and the opinions of other Board Members.
d) A minimum of 2 Board Members shall be past titleholders of either the IMsL or IMsBB contests.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of the IMsL Foundation’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of IMsL Foundation’s beneficiaries
Service on IMsL Foundation’s Board of Directors is without remuneration and is volunteer based. Registration for the IMsL/IMsBB Weekend will be provided and one night hotel for the annual board meeting. Background checks may be conducted (this step is not to prevent access to the board but to be aware of any areas that will impact your ability to represent the board. Please let us know if there are any of these areas of concern in your application.)
As a working board and to meet non-profit standards for accountability, the following skill sets are needed to make the IMsL Foundation work successful. A board member does not need to possess all of these skills but overall the board will need these skills:
- Executive Leadership to direct the board
- Detailed record keeping for the records and actions of the board
- Financial expertise and accountability for the budget and fundraising of the board
- Marketing knowledge to develop outreach and visibility campaigns for the organization
- Educational background to create programming and evaluate training needs and trends
- Historical or archival experience to create digital archives of existing collections
- Community knowledge and experience and willingness to be an ambassador in the community
- Social media campaign experience
- Development and fundraising knowledge to develop sponsors and do grant writing
This list is not comprehensive and additional areas of expertise will be welcomed on the board!
Here is the link to the IMsL Foundation Bylaws for your review. If you would like to join the board, please complete and submit your application that will ask you for your contact information, optional demographics, and gather some general answers on your qualifications, why you want to get involved and your work style. You will also be asked if there are any areas of concern we should know about that could impact your work on the board.
Thanks for your interest in advancing leather women leadership, history and educational opportunities!